Monday, March 18, 2002

Having a Birthday

(or Godly Sorrow vs. Worldly Sorrow)

Today I had a birthday. No, not the annual kind to celebrate when I've added another year to my life. More like a rebirth of sorts.

It was forced on me somewhat. I had not been spending my time wisely while at work, and it was showing. I would make excuses for why progress wasn't where it should be, but really I was just horsing around, not getting the work done. I've had an improper work ethic. Today it came to a head when I was given a sharp rebuke from two of my team members. The other one was out today, but he probably could have chimed in just as much. I was presented with an ultimatum, so to speak.

Needless to say, that got my attention.

So, I begin anew, with an improved work ethic. I am also needing to be aware of what's going on around me. Even if others aren't seeing what I'm doing, I know that God sees, and his opinion is what ultimately matters. The true sign of a person's integrity is who they are when no one else is around. I haven't been a man of integrity, that's for sure.

But I can and will keep changing. I really want to do it for God, but I know I'll be tempted to do it to please men.

I have been reminded of this passage about godly sorrow vs. worldly sorrow: 2 Cor. 7:10-11