Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dead Car on the Highway...

Mood: tired
Listening to: peace and quiet
Reading: this post I'm typing
Eating: nothing since lunch
Watching: the screen and the window outside

... but I'm safe at home - finally. Here's kinda what happened:

I left work around 5:50 PM EST. As I continued south on Interstate 75, I noticed that the dashboard lights were not lit anymore. I thought that had something to do with the battery thing from before.

Once I got past Interstate 75 and Interstate 675, however, I realized that there was something more going on. For some time, the "low coolant" light has been on. I've kept a good eye on the temperature gauge to know that it wasn't really a problem. Then the battery light came on this morning. I also noticed the alternator light on for some time, too.

The the alternator light went off. So the battery light was on and so was the low coolant light. Driving a little bit further, I saw the "air bag" light flicker on and off. Shortly after that the "brake" light, that signals that the emergency brake is engaged, flickered on.

Soon all 6 lights were on, and, by that time, I noticed it appeared to be dark in front of me. At least not as light as it was. So my headlights were going out, and all these dashboard lights were on.

I had just passed exit 36 and came to a short hill. That's when the car conked out. I felt very, very fortunate that there was enough space and time to get over to the right hand side of the highway and let the car come to rest.

At about 6:20 EST, I called Jennie on the cell phone and told her what had happened. Eventually, after several successive conversations, we'd arranged for a rental car at the Dayton International Airport - since all the satellite locations had closed at 6. I'd also arranged for some close friends who live in Centerville - about 20 minutes north of me - to come pick me up and take me to the airport.

Huge props go out to Michelle, therefore, for getting her kids out of bed, driving south to pick me up, driving me up to the airport, waiting 15 to 20 minutes while I got the rental, and for driving me to the spot where it was.

Big - major props go up to God for all the ways he's provided. It could have been raining really hard or snowing very badly. It could have been freezing cold. None of my phone calls could have gotten through. No rentals could have been available. There could have been a snag in getting us approved to get the rental. I could have been in an accident when the car broke down. It could have caught on fire. I could go on.

None of these things happened. Thank you, God!

I drove our rental - a brand new minivan with so many good amenities and accessories - it probably costs as much as my annual salary - maybe more - home.

Jennie and Keisha were waiting so that I could take Jennie to work. I had to drive, since her name isn't on the agreement yet. Apparently all we need to do tomorrow is go to a satellite office and have Jennie show her license, and she'll get added.

So, needless to say, I'm pretty tired.

We're praying hard for God to provide us with our next mode of transportation.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

When it rains it pours, doesn't it?
However, that's when God has the opportunity to show what He does best1
He is in the miracle business and no one does it better than He.
How awesomme he chooses us to work wonders and show His magificence even when we don't see it at the time.