Friday, November 05, 2004

Google Search: help stop scab picking

In previous posts I've described my struggles with compulsive scab picking. I currently have a couple scabs on the back of my left hand, some larger scabs on the right side of my scalp, one almost the size of a quarter just above my left eyebrow, and some on my back side.

Now that I've got that out in the open again... I found that someone came to this blog via Googling the phrase "help stop scab picking". I decided to check it out myself, and I've learned a couple of things from others that may help me.

  • Keep nails short
  • Clean open scabs with hydrogen peroxide or other antiseptic right away.
  • Have hand lotion available to use to keep hands busy
  • Minimize looking in the mirror so as not to be reminded of the scabs on face and other exposed areas
  • Bandages might help
  • Fake tatoos may help, if one feels the need to scratch something off
  • Topical antihistimines may help with the itching
  • Antidepressants (SSRIs) may help
  • Hypnosis might help

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was searching on self harm stuff as i used to hurt my face really bad for 15 years and now, almost 30, finally over it (mostly) and accepting myself and i am looking for what i can do to fix what i did. anyway, this post came up, and do NOT put hydrogen peroxide on your wounds as i believe that is was really caused the mose scarring for me. just do some more reading on that!