Friday, September 08, 2006

Exploring My Self-Injury Further

I spent a couple hours last night chatting with someone about my history of self-injury. Long-time readers of this blog may remember me sharing a few years ago about some instances of it.

This woman I with whom I was chatting is writing a book about self-injury from a Christian perspective. It was very good to chat with her, and it brought up a lot of emotions that I'd kept buried and helped me understand that I still have some "energy" around events that occurred when I was growing up.

One of the most important things I realized and came up with from the conversation was this statement I need to repeat to myself every day:

God love me - scabs, scars and all.
Not necessarily a very profound statement, but one that helps me refocus my attention where it's needed. Instead of obsessing about scabs and scars on my body, I refocus my attention on God who loves me and isn't bothered so much by the scabs and scars. He loves me no matter how I look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good phrase Dan.

Say it over and over.

He likes you
He loves you
He chose you