Saturday, March 20, 2004

Prepping, Power, Passion

Prepping

Work at the restaurant has been okay. I've been given more hours for this week's schedule. I had it out with a couple coworkers last weekend, and I hope that this weekend will be much better. I'm being trained in all areas of the grill crew, which is nice, since I've had to step in and help out in the different areas.

I'm not satisfied with this type of work, however, and I feel more urgency to find something for which I am more well-suited.

Power

The power company shut off our electricity yesterday while we all were out. We are unable to pay for the service to keep it on.

We went to the $1.00 store yesterday afternoon to get some batteries and candles. I figured out how to set up aluminum foil around the candles to make the light more reflective. I want to get our grill assembled so that we can use it for cooking.

We feel like we're stuck in this deep financial pit with no foreseen way out. We are having to be late in rent, phone bill, water bill, electricity -- the necessities.

All the more urgency to get the taxes done and cash in the 401(k).

Passion

Last night a close friend of mine took me to see "The Passion of the Christ". I am very grateful that he paid my way to see it. It was like studying the medical account of Jesus' crucifixion all over again. A few people walked out during the movie; I sat in my chair, stunned, shocked, weeping, incredulous, etc.

I'm reminded of 1 Peter 2:24.

There were no other movie previews, and there were few, if any, who brought refreshments into the theater. It's not that kind of movie.

I like that Satan is an actual humanlike character, present all the way to discourage Jesus from going through with it.

The violence is indeed graphic: from the time of his arrest until he is lifted up on the cross, Jesus is slapped, whipped, kicked, spit upon, derided, or otherwise abused. The twelve minute scourging scene -- whoa. Even one of the centurions who'd ordered it was upset because Jesus was so close to death from it.

That Jesus endured this abuse voluntarily, when he could have stopped it at anytime, is even more striking.

Some argue that the Jews killed Jesus Christ, but I believe that we all did it. Jesus received the punishment that was due us for all of our sins. My sin killed Jesus. I beat him. I murdered Jesus Christ. And so did you.

No comments: