Thursday, February 19, 2004

A Frustrating Day

Today I woke Keisha up and we both took showers in our respective bathrooms. We got dressed: she in her school uniform and I in some dress casual clothes. We ate breakfast and took Jake the dog out as usual for a walk while we waited for her schoolbus to arrive.

Jake and I returned to the apartment after Keisha left, and I read today's edition of the Dayton Daily News. After this, I proceeded to complete applications for Wendy's and McDonald's, both of which I'd picked up last week. I made sure that the information was as accurate as possible.

After this, I began to be a little restless and unfocused. I knew I needed to head to those places to drop off the applications, but I delayed in doing it. I spent about a half hour playing the acoustic guitar and looking for other job-related information. I finished reading a book about getting organized and becoming goal-oriented.

Lunchtime came, and I had a banana and a bowl of chocolate ice cream. This, after looking through the refrigerator and deciding that anything else was a waste of time.

Eventually, I left home with the applications in hand. I arrived at Wendy's first and gave my application to one of the crew members. She told me the name of the hiring manager and when she would be available for me to talk to her.

I then took the McD's application to the shift manager there, and she gave me a "What If" Situations test-thingy to complete. I had to evaluate what I thought were appropriate behaviors in various situations I make get into while on the job at McDonald's. I handed the completed What-If thingy, along with my application, to the shift manager. She mentioned that the hiring manager would be in next Wednesday to look at the application.

I went to Subby's, and completed an application there, even though they are not hiring. A bar named Frog's is situated nearby, but no one answered when I knocked on the door. So I stopped by the Blockbuster video to fill out an application. Their application process is electronic, so I sat down and completed the application for the next 50 minutes or so. I also got to hear the last 45 minutes of "Agent Cody Banks" playing in the background.

One thing that has me frustrated and anxious is that our home phone has been disconnected. I feel like I'm in a Catch-22 situation: I need a job to make money so that we can get the phone bill turned back on. But in order to get the job I need to have a phone so that the potential employer can get a hold of me.

I've spent a lot of time picking at scabs today. Make that the whole week/month. Scabs on my scalp, scabs on my arms, scabs on my left leg.

I also found out today that our daughter Keisha has been very incontinent (having a lot of wetting accidents) at school. It's very frustrating and embarrassing for all of us, not the least of which is Keisha. So we're going to meet with the school nurse tomorrow and provide a medical release form so that she can discuss Keisha with her pediatrician.

Jennie has been having a rough time at her job. Overwhelmed, overworked, underappreciated. Some of this has to happen in every job, I suppose, but it seems that this one is burning her out. Hopefully she can talk with an HR person or someone else in management soon.

The library is a great resource. They are having a levy issue on the March 2 ballot. If passed it will allow them to continue and expand the existing services. I hope it does. I know I need to rely on it more now.

I wish I had a PayPal account or something like that through which people could send donations, if they so wished.

No comments: