Friday, August 01, 2003

Bookworm

Mom's kept the computer chair warm for me today, leaving me to finishing the book Sleepers, which I only bought last week at a used bookstore for $0.50. I started reading it yesterday morning after Keisha's bus came to take her to school. It was hard to put it down, and I was much more pleased that it ended somewhat happily. I do not recommend it for the faint of heart. The author, Lorenzo Carcaterra, is very graphic in his depiction of the horrific events that occurred at the Wilkinson School for Boys. I've been distracted from reading other books on my reading list until I'd finished this one. Now I want to see the movie again.

I haven't touched Angela's Ashes in several days, but I noticed yesterday that I'm about halfway through it. I appreciate Frank McCourt's keen sense of observation, even at an early age.

I was really encouraged today to find a book that Kathryn Lively had sent me. You may already be aware of my penchant for quotations. This book is one that was sent to her for review recently. It's called Values of the Wise: Profound and Witty Words of Wisdom from the Greatest Minds, by Jason Merchey. Thanks, Kat! You're AWESOME!

No comments: