Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Winning IS Important!!!

I know there are some who say that it's not important whether you win or lose, but it's how you play the game. Well, we got one of those last night in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, as, for the first time since 1961, the Major League Baseball All-Star Game ended with a tie: National League 7, American League 7.

As a fan, I don't agree with that first statement. I feel cheated. I am from Cincinnati, and the Reds had one player, Adam Dunn, a former Dayton Dragon, on the National League team. Given that in the last several All-Star Games, the AL won, that the NL was so close to winning hurts more. Oh, I'll get over it. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

Yet I can't help feeling robbed. Major League Baseball, since the strike of 1994, has not been that appealing. Then we get a no-decision like we had last night. Now there is talk of a strike this year. Oh, great. A glimmer of hope has been the arrival of minor league baseball in Dayton, Ohio. Fifth Third Field, which seats over 8,000, is always packed, and the Dragons always provide an entertaining experience.

This feels like baseball the way it was when I grew up. I remember the Big Red Machine of the 70's fondly. My hero was George Foster. When I played Little League, I had his number (3) and played his position (Left Field). I nevertheless couldn't hit very well, and he was a slugger. I guess we weren't meant to be alike in every way.

How will this season end up? The Reds are in a pennant race for the NL Central division with the St. Louis Cardinals. I'd love to see them win the division. Whether we'll get a chance to see this depends on the outcome of the strike talks and how the teams fare. I just hope someone wants to win.

No comments: