Thursday, July 18, 2002

Five Years Ago

I am, for some odd reason, still awake, even though it's after 3 AM

On Thursday, July 17, 1997, at 10:42 PM, our daughter Keisha Renee was born. This occurred after much hard work and perseverance. And, oh yes, my wife was there, too! (just kidding, Jen!) Seriously though -- seeing my wife go through labor generated a whole new dimension of respect for her in me. I am glad that I will never have to experience that! I may actually reveal some details about what happened prior to the delivery that day... at some later date.

To celebrate, tonight we went to Max and Erma's on Miller Laneto celebrate. We all got dressed up: I in my suit and tie from earlier today; Jennie in a nice outfit that made her look even more beautiful, and Keisha in a nice light blue dress, sporting a tiara and some earrings her speech therapist brought over today. "Princess" Keisha was beaming as she walked around and sat down. We let her open two presents as we ate dessert. She exclaimed, "I'm so happy!" after she opened them up to find a Barbie and a baby care accessory case for her doll baby Hannah.

(Baby Hannah, by the way, is practically an additional member of the family, thanks to our daughter. We, however, left her in the car seat, locked up in the car with the windows closed. I am glad that she is only a doll because we sure could have gotten in trouble!!! lol)

I am continually amazed at the miracle we see in our daughter Keisha, our gift from God. For it was only a short time ago that I held her in the crook of my arm, rocking her to sleep. I miss those times when I'd lay her on my chest and we'd both fall asleep on the couch. Now she's 44 inches tall, and I can barely pick her up. She also wants more of her independence. From what I've heard, this is just the beginning...

No comments: