Friday, March 09, 2007

Props to the Library!

Checking out the labels on the Journey Inside My Mind Blog, you will discover that we have enjoyed the public library long before we started homeschooling. It was one of my favorite weekend hangout places when I was growing up. Seriously. I remember the first time I ever rode the bus downtown unaccompanied by an adult - just me and my best friend - we went to the public library downtown.

I love how the library systems have progressed with technology. I remember the long checkout lines, where the staff would lay your library card and the card that was stuck in the pouch of the book in front of a camera. I remember when we lived in Middletown, Ohio in the late 1990's, you could call a phone number and renew items from the automated voice system. Now everything is bar-coded and runs much more smoothly.

We also used to get notices in the mail whenever items were coming due or were overdue. Now these notices get sent through e-mail, which brings me to the purpose of this post.

Since I work in front of a computer, I'm able to check my email many times throughout the day, so I've set up notices for Jennie, Keisha, and my library card numbers to be sent to my email address. So I get notices that items are coming due or are overdue, that my library card has expired, and whenever items placed on hold have arrived.

As homeschooler parents, we use the library extensively. In fact, we help their circulation numbers so much that they've given us extra bags - the ones that normally cost a quarter. This past week when I was home sick, Jennie and Keisha went to the library. Apparently they put a lot of items on reserve because every day since I've been getting email notices that the items are available.

Related tags:

No comments: