Tuesday, June 27, 2006

21 Year Old Swimming Memories

Mood:sleepy
Listening to: the window fan in the living room
Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (just finished "The Second Task")
Eating: haven't had breakfast yet
Watching: the sunshine, and it's only 7:37 in the morning!


We have a pool in our apartment complex, and we're using it this summer. Last summer we didn't use it that much. I think this summer it's becoming the default activity.

When I was 12-15 years old, my sister Stephanie and I would spend summers with our Mom in Texas. That meant that we'd spend a lot of time at the pool. Almost every day. It was great.

There were diving boards in the deep end, and at least once every two hours, we'd ask the lifeguard on duty to "close the boards" so that we could swim in the deep end.

One of my favorite activities was to toss a quarter somewhere and then go find it, even at the bottom of the deep end. I got pretty good at holding my breath underwater, and I also became used to swimming with 9 feet of water on top of me. I felt like a fish. It was fun.

Another thing I'd like to do was create the biggest splash that I could. In fact, I and my friends would take turns doing cannonballs, can openers, and preacher seats to try to get the biggest splash.

I also remember the music of 1985. There was always music from the radio. That year Paul Hardcastle's song "19" was very popular.

Has it really been 21 years?

No comments: