Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Happy Birthday Mandy!

Today is my sister Mandy's 26th birthday. I still remember the first time I saw her when my mom and stepfather brought her home from the hospital and I got to hold her. I was 9 years old at the time.

A lot of young kids suck their fingers. Mandy sucked her middle and ring fingers at the same time. She used to call me "bruh bruh".

I am so glad that she was born, and to encourage her even more, I direct her to the words of Dr. Seuss's "Happy Birthday to You":

"If you'd never been born, well what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a door knob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag full of hard green tomatoes!
Or worse than all that... why, you might be a
WASN'T!
A Wasn't has no fun at all. No, he doesn't.
A Wasn't just isn't. He just isn't present.
But you... you ARE YOU! And now, isn't that pleasant!"

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I remember she was born literally sucking her thumb as if to say " sure, I'll be born, no problem".
And she had that same smile that she still has today.
Has it really been 26 years?
She also started calling you Deenel when she got a little older.She couldn't say Daniel as in your whole name when she heard me call you kids by your birth names so her special name for you was Deenel.
She was just the best child and always happy.
I will never forget her in her walker trying to catch the ray of sunshine and when she opened her hand to look at it and it wasn't there the pure indignant shock on her face was priceless!
Happy Birthday Mandy. thanks for all the great moments.