Thursday, May 27, 2004

11 Years and Stronger Than Ever!

You tell me you're the lucky one
But I see things differently
And I have just begun to show you that you mean
Everything to me
I still feel the need to

Love a little stronger, dig a little deeper
Go a little farther, anything to please
you, girl
Tonight I'm gunna start all over
Show you girl what's in my heart
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh, gunna love a little stronger

"Love a Little Stronger" (second verse and chorus) by Diamond Rio, via AskLyrics.com
DAYTON, Ohio -- It was 11 years ago on this date that I first told Jennie Doddy that I loved her. While some may consider this insignificant, we don't. What began on Valentine's Day 1993 had grown into true love, and I wanted the moment that I confessed it to her to be a memorable one.

Every Memorial Day weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio, where we lived, there is a festival called "A Taste of Cincinnati," in which downtown streets are closed, and they are taken over by vendors and various musical acts.

My best friend, Praveen Cherian, and I had set up the double date. Sometime during that date I would walk Jennie across the Roebling Suspension Bridge, which is romantically lit up at night, to the middle. As we would look out over the Ohio River, I would profess my love to her.

Unfortunately, it began to thunderstorm, and we all decided to go to a movie instead. I needed to get some money, so while the other couple waited at a Hardee's, Jennie and I walked to the bank ATM.

And it was THERE, ladies and gentlemen, underneath the shelter of the bank's ATM machine, that I said to Jennie
You know, I really love how our relationship is going right now. And I love you, too.
Jennie was so excited to have finally heard me say those important three words. She echoed my sentiments.

Arm in arm, we walked to the grocery store, and I bought her a rose. By the time we returned to the Hardee's, we were all ready for the date to be over anyway.

Eleven years later I must say that my love for her has grown stronger and deeper. I've made her my wife, and we have a lovely daughter. You could say that I'm just as sappy as ever.

No comments: