Thursday, December 19, 2002

Obnoxious Automobile Ads on the Radio Rant

I find it so easy to get irritated by those obnoxious ads I hear on the radio from car dealers. In their desperation to get someone... anyone... to show up at their dealership... they resort to YELLING! LOUD MUSIC! OBNOXIOUS SOUND EFFECTS - LIKE A HAMMER, LIKE EXPLOSIONS -- I SURE FEEL LIKE GOING TO THEIR DEALERSHIP BUT NOT FOR LOOKING AT A CAR! RATHER, TO BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF THE PEOPLE WHO PRODUCE AND STAR IN THOSE ADS!! AAAAAAAGGGHHH!

A snippet of some I've heard over the past year... "A BIKE FOR CHRIS --- PAID FOR!!! A DOLLY FOR SUSIE --- PAID FOR!!! THAT NEW DIAMOND RING --- PAID FOR!!! (loud music begins, some explosions) GET A MINIMUM OF $2000 FOR ANY TRADE... ANY TRADE!!! ANY TRADE!!!!!"

"THAT'S RIGHT... PUSH IT IN... PULL IT IN... DRAG IT IN!!!!"

Oh yeah, there was that miserable spoof of the "12 Days of Christmas" in which they sang about all the people who were approved for a new car loan: "... TWO FIRST-TIME BUYERS, AND A MAN WITH A BANCRUPTCY!!!"

A few years ago I heard the following: "PLANET FORD WILL TAKE OVER YOUR PAYMENTS!" Now I know they said payments because I heard the ad over and over and over again, but the first few times I thought they were saying a certain part of a man's anatomy. Combine THAT with "PUSH IT IN... PULL IT IN..." and we're about ready to call the FCC.

Okay, enough. I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

No comments: