Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Justifiable Use of Force

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. As many know, he was a civil rights activist that worked for peace through nonviolent means.

Are there any times when violence is right? What a difficult question to answer. Here are my thoughts:

Ever since the terrorist attacks on the US last year, I have believed that it is necessary to use force. We gave the Taliban time to turn over Osama bin Laden, and they let it run out. As a result, we dropped bombs on them.

On a much smaller scale, I think about times when my wife and I must discipline our daughter. We have set up boundaries and expectations for her. When she goes outside of those boundaries, we have a moral obligation to discipline her, so that she can learn to respect authority. Sometimes, then, we need to spank her. Other times we remove priveleges.

I believe that the United States and its allies have taken a similar approach in the war on terrorism. Basically, President Bush has stated that terrorists will be disciplined for their acts of terror. Financial assets have been frozen. Also, we've used military force.

Thus, I see our current situation as one in which the use of force is justified. The principle is the same in law enforcement. A police officer tells a gun-wielding suspect to drop his or her weapon. If he or she does not, then in some cases, the officer may have to use deadly force.

What do you think?
Feel free to drop me a line (i.e., leave a 'guidepost').