Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Usual Info, Visit From Dad, Kettle Kontemplation

The Usual Information:



Visit From Dad
My dad spent the better part of his evening driving from his job in Cincinnati to our place in Dayton and then to his home in Bright, Indiana. An easy three hours. He came to bring us packages and such. We hadn't seen him in over two years. Our lives had just gotten so busy that the distance seemed to far to make a trip to their place on the farm worthwhile. I hate the way that sounds, but I think that's the truth.

Kettle Kontemplation
I wasn't home. I had mistakenly thought I'd be off work by the time he was to arrive. Instead I had the evening shift. You may recall that I'm doing a few gigs with the Salvation Army this season, playing my saxophone and guitar while tending a kettle. It's true that people are more apt to put something in the kettle while hearing someone play Christmas carols than by hearing someone ring a bell.

I enjoy it because I get to get paid for playing music, encouraging people along the way. It helps me be in the holiday spirit.

Also, I was encouraged to see a woman who has a child in Keisha's school. I saw her at the school's holiday program last Thursday. My wife says that she's a morning news anchor for the local CBS affiliate. When this woman came to put some money in the kettle, I said, "Hi! I remember seeing you at the Jingle Jump last week." I could have made a reference to her job, which I'm sure others do when they see a local celebrity. But I didn't. And I think that encouraged her more.

No comments: