Monday, November 11, 2002

Journey Inside My Mind: Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)

One of the main reasons I started this weblog was to be able to document the so-called "journey inside my mind". I tend to be rather neurotic, and I've often not been able to understand why my world seems to be in a whirlwind and out of control (see related posts: "Mind on Fire" "Whirlwind - A Poem").

Since undergoing therapy, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder (aka manic depression), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Throughout a lot of this journey, I've tried to learn as much about the mental illnesses as possible to see how and where I fit in. The idea is to glean from others' knowledge so that I can get well:

I'm currently being seen by a psychiatrist and a counselor, and the current diagnosis is what the doc referred to as "process OCD", which I'm understanding as Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD). It is true that I have some of the "content OCD" symptoms: I pick at scabs, touch my face or hands excessively, etc. But the big thing is that my "process" of doing things is so rigid.

So I'm journeying to discover more about this OCPD, and, thanks to the folks at Yahoo!, I was able to find a web site that defines OCPD. I link to it here more for my benefit, but if you also benefit, then that's a bonus.

No comments: