Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The new media playground is like jazz

Mood: upbeat
Listening to: Managing the Gray: Every Day is a Good Day
Reading: Learning XML, Second Edition
Eating: an apple


I checked my Bloglines and noticed that C.C. Chapman mentioned my name on his latest episode and the Journey Inside My Mind Blog in the shownotes, specifically with an audio comment about how the new media playground is a lot like jazz:

"Do not fear mistakes; there are none." - Miles Davis.
A lot of jazz music usually involves improvisation within the boundaries of a chord progression. The song starts off, usually with the melody. Then different instruments take their solos, which usually fall within the same chord progression as the melody. Eventually everyone comes back together to wrap up the song.

I'm probably grossly oversimplifying things with that description, especially when you consider trendsetters like Miles Davis, who through constantly reinventing himself, created new boundaries and genres of jazz music (Check out this post from 2003 for more information: Paving the Milestones).

I like to think that's what it's like with what we're doing with new media.

ABOUT DANIEL JOHNSON, JR.

I suppose I should share a bit more about me, in case this is your first time here.

I've been blogging since January 2002 and podcasting since August 2005. I now have more blogs than I care to count. Here is more of me, in case you're interested:And of course you can find me on MySpace, LinkedIn, and other social media networks. I'm always open to connect; just let me know how you found me.

Related tags:

No comments: