Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Noisy Neigbors Arousing Suspicions

We got some new neighbors across the hall from us about a month ago. The previous tenant was a single mom with two school-aged kids. In general, they were a quiet bunch. That's quite a contrast to the current tenants. The new neighbors are generating a lot of suspicion around here.

I have no idea how many people actually live there. We've seen so many people going in and out of that place that I almost think they should install a revolving door. Traffic exists at all hours of the day. There have been several occasions where I and others have been bothered by the loud noise coming from cars (stereo systems and horns blaring).

I had to address one vehicle this evening. A blue van arrives, and shortly after parking, starts to blare their horn. Several times.

Keisha and I were playing frisbee in an adjacent field while Jennie was resting. I got indignant at this driver and hollered, "Hey! Cut that out! Some people are trying to sleep around here! Why don't you just get out and go knock on their door?"

The driver said something like her foot was broken so she couldn't get out. She asked if I could go knock on the door herself. I then saw that she was talking on a cell phone, apparently to the tenants of the same apartment. She hung up and told me that they were coming out.

Why couldn't she have just called in the first place?

Another thing I've noticed is that there is a lot more litter around our building than there used to be. I am peeved that people are too d*** lazy to take their trash to the dumpster, which is less than 50 feet away.

Another neighbor, with whom we've been to a neighborhood watch meeting, talked with me tonight. He and his wife have begun to take down license plate numbers of vehicles that are frequenting this residence. They believe that these signs all point to drug activity. They've seen people come by with an air compressor, some hubcaps. He said that what also makes him think this way is that it's not only black folks but also white folks that are coming and going.

No comments: